Monday, August 15, 2011

Review: Promise by Kristie Cook

Promise
by Kristie Cook

Alexis Ames decides to learn who she really is, with or without the help of her mother, who guards their secrets closely. After meeting Tristan Knight and discovering that he s not normal either, the secrets begin to unravel. Their union brings promise to the future of mankind. But it also incites a dangerous pursuit by the enemy. Because they are a match made in Heaven and in Hell.

First, I'm going to join the plethora of literary voices and say this book far exceeded expectations. It took a few chapters for the book to hook me, but once it did I was a goner. The only big issue I had was the dialogue between Tristan and Alexis; it was a little too unrealistic and cheesy.

I wasn't instantly swept away in the romance either; it took some time for me to have a true emotional investment in their relationship, but I eventually got there and once I was, I most definitely wasn't leaving

Other than a few minor issues, I couldn't be more pleased. Yes it does have some small similarities to other paranormal books, but it also has its own unique presence in the paranormal world. It has plenty of action and romance. A true page turner.

Now addressing the "generic" Twilight accusations, I hate to break it to you people, but Stephenie Meyer didn't create the idea of abstinence until marriage (I'm pretty sure the Bible did that). And any abnormally STRONG man with supernatural abilities runs the risk of a little mass distruction when it comes to physical intimacy. Damage control is kind of inevitable no matter what book we're talking about.

Trust me; the story is unique as it portrays the battle between heaven and hell, good and evil, angels and demons. The ending will knock you down and run you over a few times so my advice is to have the sequel waiting and ready. Great new series!

No comments:

Post a Comment