Saturday, August 20, 2011

Review: Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy #1) by Jennifer Estep

My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy — a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest.
But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why—especially since I should have been the one who died. . .

So here's the good with the bad. This book was refreshingly original. The modern spin on greek mythology was very nicely done, but there was too much fluff. I understand that in a series opener there has to be alot of explaining and back story. Unfortunately it made everything too wordy and drawn out.

Gwen was a very likable main character, but her dialogue was way too cheesy. There were several lines that made me stop and say, "Really? I mean come on...Really?!" But I do give her credit for a pretty amazing "special" ability.

Now enters hot Spartan love interest who saves, well...EVERYTHING; the story, the girl. Logan is completely devoted to keeping Gwen safe despite his cold nature and the fact that he is constantly pushing (okay shoving) her away. It is a little bit lacking in the romance department, but hopefully this book sets the stage for an intense relationship. I mean you can barely see through the sexual tension.

Overall it was a good start to the series and drew me in enough where I want MORE. Though I was not in love with this book, I see alot of potential for the sequel; can't wait to read it.




Other books you may like:

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1)Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)Evernight (Evernight #1)The Candidates (Delcroix Academy, #1)


The Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
Evernight by Claudia Gray
The Candidates (Delcroix Academy #1) by Inara Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment