Monday, December 12, 2011

Review: Kindling the Moon by Jenn Bennett

Kindling the Moon (Arcadia Bell #1)Kindling the Moon by Jenn Bennett

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A new urban fantasy series about a magician and daughter of accused serial killers who must clear their names--or pay for their crimes with her life.

Meet Arcadia Bell: bartender, renegade magician, fugitive from the law...

Being the spawn of two infamous occultists (and alleged murderers) isn’t easy, but freewheeling magician Arcadia “Cady” Bell knows how to make the best of a crummy situation. After hiding out for seven years, she’s carved an incognito niche for herself slinging drinks at the demon-friendly Tambuku Tiki Lounge.

But she receives an ultimatum when unexpected surveillance footage of her notorious parents surfaces: either prove their innocence or surrender herself. Unfortunately, the only witness to the crimes was an elusive Æthyric demon, and Cady has no idea how to find it. She teams up with Lon Butler, an enigmatic demonologist with a special talent for sexual spells and an arcane library of priceless stolen grimoires. Their research soon escalates into a storm of conflict involving missing police evidence, the decadent Hellfire Club, a ruthless bounty hunter, and a powerful occult society that operates way outside the law. If Cady can’t clear her family name soon, she’ll be forced to sacrifice her own life . . . and no amount of running will save her this time.


This story had alot going for it. The plot was original and the writing was quick and flawless. I'm a sucker for love/hate relationships. You know the kind that drip with sexual tension? Lon and Cady fall smack into the middle of that category. I originally gave this book 3 stars, BUT I'm going to throw in another one. It is a 4 star book, but I didn't rate it that way at first for purely shallow reasons; I didn't think Lon was hot (Come on, I know I'm not the only one who thought that). Yep, that's what I said. I loved his brash personality and his "tell it like it is" attitude, but the way Jenn Bennett describes him visually was a complete turn-off. I know, I know! It's a book and I can imagine who I want, but after Bennet's description I couldn't get that picture out of my head. I know that's a silly reason to not like a book, but the relationship and romance in a story is what makes me love it. It's hard to become invested in the relationship if I'm not invested in the hot love interest. However, the single dad thing definitely helped Lon's cause. You will completely fall in love with his son Jupe. A great addition to the story adding to the humor scattered throughout the book. I will say that Cady Bell is a kick ass heroine that will suck you into her story. It's a book you'll have a hard time putting down. Should you read it? Yes!



View all my reviews


Other books you may like:

Blood Bound (Unbound, #1)Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1)Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1)Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1)




No comments:

Post a Comment