Monday, January 27, 2014

NEW REVIEW: Torn by K.A. Robinson

Torn by K.A. Robinson
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Chloe hasn't had the best life. With a mother who is gone more often than not, she has had to raise herself. After graduating high school, she leaves to start a new life away at West Virginia University with her best friends Amber and Logan, determined to leave her demons in the past. 

On her first day, she meets a stranger who takes her breath away at first sight. Until she met Drake, no one had ever sparked her interest. Now this tattooed and pierced bad boy is all she can think about, no matter how hard she fights it.

Falling for Drake was never part of her plans, but when it happens, things seem to do anything but fall into place.

Dealing with a tragic past, Drake has never cared about anyone else but himself and his band. But when Chloe takes the empty seat next to him in class, things start to change. Instantly drawn to her, he begins to wonder if one girl can take a cold hearted womanizer and change every part of him?

Long hidden feelings are revealed and friendships tested to the brink.


My Review

Maybe if I had a delorean. A delorean and a flux capacitor…….obviously

My new years resolution was to try and read more books. Books I might have missed the first time around. As a reviewer, often times we tend to get bogged down with new releases or the next big release. Once we miss a new book, it's gone. We tend to only move forward. Well, this year I'm allowing myself to move back.

Unfortunately, my new philosophy might have been Torn's downfall.

Maybe if I had read Torn back in 2012 when it was originally released, back when New Adult was really breaking through, my feelings might have been different. However, I can't help but feel like I was reading a generic NA that I've read so many times before, reminiscent of numerous other books I've read in this genre.

Then there's the love triangle. Chloe, Logan, and Drake.

Chloe was too unrealistically dense when it came to Logan. Dense to the point of annoyance. Not to mention, I ALWAYS root for the best friend. Drake was okay, but like I said before, he was a generic character. Logan, I loved, but between his naivety, and the annoyance that was Chloe, I was driven towards an unrelenting desire to consume vast amounts of alcohol and punch baby clowns in the face.

Maybe I'm being unfair. Maybe this book hit me at the wrong time. Maybe I can't write anything else because I can't stop thinking about baby clowns.

Either way, this was one of those books where the writing wasn't bad; it just didn't stand out, and with millions of books out there, it needs to stand out.

READ ON!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment