Monday, March 10, 2014

NEW REVIEW: Off the Record by K.A. Linde

Off the Record by K.A. Linde
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"Double layered Moon Pies…who knew."

Release DateMarch 11th, 2014

Links:
Amazon
Goodreads

Synopsis
Liz Dougherty has no idea a single question is about to change her life.

Her first big reporting assignment for her North Carolina college newspaper has her covering a state senator’s impromptu press conference. Brady Maxwell may have everything it takes to be a politician—a winning pedigree, devastating good looks, a body made to wear suits—but his politics rub Liz the wrong way. When Liz’s hard-hitting question catches the upstart senator off-guard, it impresses Hayden Lane, Liz’s editor who feels she’s headed for a promising career as a reporter.

But Liz is also headed into a secret romance with Brady that could destroy both their ambitions. Though he’s a bachelor, potential voters might frown on Brady cozying up to a reporter. And Liz isn’t sure sneaking around is enough for her—especially when things between her and Hayden might be less platonic than she thought.

Sleek, sexy, and smart, Off the Record ventures into a high-stakes campaign and an even higher-stakes affair to answer the question: When politics and love collide, can there ever be a winner?


My Review

All I really know about politics is that, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman," and elephants. That being said, my interests weren't all that interested in reading Off the Record. It's exactly like Moon Pies. I've known about MPs since I was a kid, but nothing about them sounded appetizing. Graham crackers….they're okay. Chocolate….generic. Mallows….could totally live without. Well, a year ago, I ate one. I ate a Moon Pie. It was at that very moment, my tongue grew a pair of tiny lips...and smiled.

Individually those three ingredients didn't appeal to me at all, but something about the combination created something that caused my tongue to smile. K.A. Linde created a Moon Pie. She nailed the political aspect while combining it with engaging characters, romance, love, and lust creating the perfect combination.

I wasn't even bothered by the instant relationship between Brady and Liz. It was founded on attraction, intrigue, lust and sex. Not love. The evolution of that physical relationship is what drives the book. However, I was concerned about it's depth. The relationship wasn't something that was developed to it's full extent until I read the very last chapter. The chapter that gave me new eyes. The chapter that delivered something that I had found to be lacking with the relationship between Brady and Liz. It. Changed. Everything.

At first I didn't see the mini-love triangle as necessary. It was a distraction. I enjoyed Hayden, felt sorry for him, but was he just a catalyst to create some drama? Then I reminded myself that this is a trilogy. I think Hayden's character will prove significant; the foundation being laid for what's to come.

I was blown away by the speed in which I finished this book. I wouldn't consider it an angst filled read, a fact that I believe fueled the pace. I was not drowning in drama, angst, and emotion. I was teased by it. I was also left wanting more, needing more. If not for the ending, my rating might not have been as high. I wouldn't call it a cliffhanger. I'd call it perfectly irresolute. Having it from Brady's POV changed everything.

I can't wait for the sequel!

READ ON!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment