Sunday, August 31, 2014

NEW REVIEW: Bright Side by Kim Holden

Bright Side by Kim Holden
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

"Dude, I can't even…"


Secrets. 
Everyone has one. 
Some are bigger than others. 
And when secrets are revealed, 
Some will heal you ... 
And some will end you. 

Kate Sedgwick’s life has been anything but typical. She’s endured hardship and tragedy, but throughout it all she remains happy and optimistic (there’s a reason her best friend Gus calls her Bright Side). Kate is strong-willed, funny, smart, and musically gifted. She’s also never believed in love. So when Kate leaves San Diego to attend college in the small town of Grant, Minnesota, the last thing she expects is to fall in love with Keller Banks. 

They both feel it. 
But they each have a reason to fight it. 
They each have a secret. 

And when secrets are revealed, 
Some will heal you … 
And some will end you. 


My Review

It has been days. Days!! I just can't, but I gotta. But I can't. I must.

Numbness. Feels. Overload.

It's impossible.

Here I go.

I'm going.

Okay.

So.

Maybe it would be best if I started at the beginning.

It all started as a goodreads recommendation….from Donna. Donna. The person I want to hug. Punch in the face. Hug. Punch. Damn you! You owe me valium…and ice cream. After the recommendation, I read the synopsis. Intriguing. I also loved the fact that it only had three reviews. I absolutely love new unknowns. It's like a secret. My secret. I decided to give it a go.

I went.

There's no going back.

These feelings can't be unfelt.

I feel.

Kate Sedgwick may be one of my favorite female characters of all time. Let's face it, female characters usually have the tendency to be….well, they sometimes suck. They're annoying. I usually prefer the male characters. I don't play well with others.

Wait!

Before you revoke my woman card or force me to burn my bra and roar, it's kind of a common occurrence with female heroines. They frustrate. They annoy.

I'm sure the nations leading psychologists might theorize that my "issues" with female characters probably stem from a place of jealousy. Damn straight. They never deserve the guy. My guy. I tolerate them because without them, there'd be no story.

Not Kate. I more than tolerated Kate. I adored Kate. I loved Kate. I was tied to everything she felt, experienced. Her character is unforgettable. This story is unforgettable.

I feel.

Then there's Gus (who I hear is getting his own book), and Keller, and Clayton, and Stella, and pretty much every character in this book.

I. Can't. Even.

The love between Gus and Bright Side. The love between her and Keller. I felt everything. The love was intoxicating. Suffocating. It hurt. It healed.

Sure the plot was predictable, but nothing. Nothing, prepared me for the emotions. I started crying during the last half, sobbed my way through the final chapters, but somehow I ended the book with a smile.

The hurt and emotions didn't cause me to break. I endured. I survived. Each emotion was coupled with humor, wit, an amazing story, and unforgettable characters. Laugh. Cry. Heal.

Embark on this incredible journey.

DO EPIC!

Links:
Amazon
Goodreads

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment