Saturday, December 5, 2015

Review: Dare Me by Stella Rhys

Dare MeDare Me by Stella Rhys
My rating: 2 of 5 stars
Links:
Goodreads
Amazon: Free with kindleunlimited

Summary  

CALLUM

Lake and I never had a chance at normal. She was drop dead gorgeous from day one - our maid's granddaughter who became my mother's spoiled living doll. I hated that girl with all my heart and at the same time, I worshipped every inch of her skin, every word that she spoke. I lived for her and the twisted game of truth or dare we created to feed our f***ed up needs for shock, shame and one-upping each other. Lake was my drug, my bad lifestyle choice.

And I'd fallen in and out of love with her a thousand times till the day she disappeared.

LAKE

I know I ruined Callum Pike and going back to New York may be the worst decision I've ever made, which is saying a lot. But I'm willing to risk it. I never wanted to leave and now that I can, I'm going back - to be with the man I made, who made me. I know I screwed him up. I know he's hardened and become cold. I know the love we had is gone. But I need him now more than ever and no matter how much it hurts, no matter what kind of sick or satisfying way he decides to torment me, I'm going to fight through it.

I'm going to repent for the way I broke him and I'm going to find the Callum Pike I loved again - even if it tears me apart.

Review

Not your typical 2 star book....

This review has been one that I have been agonizing over for weeks. There are so many pieces of this book that deserve more than just two stars, but in its entirety I was overwhelmed by other aspects that prevented me from truly loving this novel.

The prologued showed so much promise. I was truly engaged in the backstory. I spent most of the beginning wishing that I was able to experience the things I was being told about. Later, we experience some parts through flashbacks, but ultimately the past consisted of nothing more than just a brief glimpse here and there. However, I latched on to these moments and ached for more.

I found myself so caught up in the past, that it was hard for me to be present. It was the origin of Lake and Callum's relationship that had me so engaged. The love, the tension and intensity; this is the type of relationship that great stories are built upon. Their foundation was unique, twisted, full of passion and ultimately my favorite thing about this story. Unfortunately, I just didn't feel the same about the present. I felt more lust and eroticism than I did love, and the drama that transpired after Lake and Callum reunited was generic compared to the backstory.

If the author ever decides to write a prequel, a novel dedicated to the beginning. A story devoted to developing those brief glimpses into the past, I would definitely be the first one in line to read it.

READ ON!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment