Saturday, November 5, 2011

Debut Author: On the Fringe by Courtney King Walker

On the FringeOn the Fringe by Courtney King Walker

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Claire is struggling to overcome the murder of her childhood friend and secret crush, Daniel. Everyone else seems to be moving on with their lives, but she's still trying to cope. The fact that she finds herself alone and drowning on her 16th birthday isn't helping.

Neither is thinking she sees Daniel's face in murky water as she mysteriously resurfaces. But something happened during those four and a half minutes that will make her realize it was not just her imagination.

As Claire and Daniel try to grasp a possible reconnection, other grudge-holding beings have plans of their own. Now, the two of them have to decide if their fleeting relationship is worth the possibility of Claire being trapped on the fringe forever.

Beautifully told, On the Fringe intertwines fresh ideas about devotion, revenge, and the consequences that come with life and death.


I kept that fourth star in my back pocket, reaching for it several times throughout the book. I really wanted to whip it out (I really did), but I had to hold it back. Three stars aren't bad, in fact they say "Hey, I'm a good book." And this was a good book.


The storyline was wonderfully unique. I admire the author's ability to switch POV's and incorporate several flashbacks while still maintaining the flow of the story. Claire and Daniel's relationship was heart-wrenching AND heart-breaking (tissues will be a must). It was a fast pace emotional rollercoaster that combined romance, mystery, paranormal topped with chills and thrills.


I guess the reason I couldn't rate it higher was because it was missing the that. The that that keeps you thinking about the book for several days after you read it. The that that keeps you from ever wanting the story to end.


For a debut novel, it rocked. If I was rating it against debut novels only, 4/5 stars easy, but unfortunately it was up to bat against all the books in my library. Courtney King Walker showed alot of promise with this book and I'm looking forward to see what she brings to the table in the future. Write on!!!



View all my reviews

Other books you may like:

BetweenKissed by an Angel (Kissed by an Angel, #1-3)I Heart You, You Haunt MeIf I Stay (If I Stay, #1)

No comments:

Post a Comment