Saturday, December 17, 2011

Review: Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Catching JordanCatching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though - she leads them as the captain and quarterback on her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys, and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But now there's a new guy in town who threatens her starring position on the team... and has her suddenly wishing to be seen as more than just a teammate

What can I say, I can relate to this book....

Photobucket

Yes people, there are girls out there that play football. And yes, they're good. I was starting right tackle and middle linebacker for my team leading in tackles and sacks. I guess what bothers me about some of the reviews is they're bashing the book for being unrealistic. Can a girl play football? Yes. Is it likely a girl could quarter back for a D-1 school? Probably not, but last time I checked this was called FICTION!!!!

fic·tion (fik-shuhn)
noun
1.The class of literature comprising works of imaginative narration, especially in prose form.

2.Works of this class, as novels or short stories: detective fiction.

3.Something feigned, invented, or imagined; a made-up story: We've all heard the fiction of her being in delicate health.

4.The act of feigning, inventing, or imagining.


Isn't reading improbable or unlikely situations what makes reading fun?

Standing at almost 5'll myself, growing up an undoubtable tom-boy, loving sports, and having more guy friends than girl friends makes me feel a kinship to Jordan. I have personally lived alot of what she went through so let me tell you what is real about this story. The bond between teammates is something only an athlete can understand; it's a family. In Catching Jordan that bond is wonderfully portrayed. I loved her friendships with her teammates! They constantly have Jordan's back and are always taking care of her. On the other end of the spectrum you have the girls. Most girls are quite catty when it comes to other girls that make them feel threatened. Jordan gets a lot of attention from playing football and has a bond with the guys that the other girls don't. They are jealous and petty; constantly giving Jordan a hard time. However, there are two very refreshing exceptions to that rule in this book. It's not Jordan's fault that she relates more to the guys than girls. Past experiences have lead her to completely shut the same sex out; she feels like they're all the same. It's nice to see her get out of her comfort zone and give a few of them a chance.

I adored everything about Catching Jordan especially Sam Henry. I get ridiculously giddy and excited when it comes to life-long friendships between the opposite sex. I fell head-over-heels in love with the relationship between Sam and Jordan. However, I wasn't a huge fan of Ty. Partly because I'm not a fan of love triangles and partly because he was such a complete weeny! I just wanted to smack him!

Jordan overcomes so much in this book; she's driven and passionate which makes it easy to like her. You learn that she likes "guy stuff", despises being a "girly-girl" and gets along better with the opposite sex. Just because she doesn't act like a girl doesn't mean she doesn't have the heart of a girl!



View all my reviews


Other books you may like:

Saving Face (a young adult romance)The Ex Games (Simon Romantic Comedies)Nailed



No comments:

Post a Comment