Saturday, December 17, 2011

Review: Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1)Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James
THIS BOOK IS NOT FOR YOUNG ADULTS!
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind - until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time.

The unworldly, innocent Ana is shocked to realize she wants this man, and when he warns her to keep her distance it only makes her more desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her - but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey's singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success – his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving adoptive family – Grey is man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a passionate, physical and daring affair, Ana learns more about her own dark desires, as well as the Christian Grey hidden away from public scrutiny.

Can their relationship transcend physical passion? Will Ana find it in herself to submit to the self-indulgent Master? And if she does, will she still love what she finds?

Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever.


Fifty ways of mind f*$#! I haven't been able to stop thinking about this book for the last three days. I'm not even sure if there's a word strong enough to desrcibe the feelings that are envolved. Be prepared to enter into an intense and exhausting battle between your head and your heart. I almost didn't read this book because of the synopsis. I'm not into books with such strong sexual themes and the content completely goes against my morals and beliefs. However, people kept recomending it to me so I tried to enter into it with an open mind. W-O-W!!!!

You are IMMEDIATELY drawn to Christian Grey; his charm, his charisma. The very way he carries himself is just irresistably sexy; I fell head-over-heels. It was devastating to learn he was far from prince charming. This is where my brain kicked in; he is bad VERY bad; Ana should run far far away, but deep down inside you want her to stay. It is mind blowing that in one sentence he is a monster, but in the very next one he will melt your heart (I completely adored their email banter by the way). It is truly like he's two different people. There is such a fine line between his obsession with control and the deep need to protect. Eventually I discovered that my battle as a reader was exactly the same internal struggle that Ana was going through; you will actually become her character; you feel what she's feeling.

Discovering Christian's tortured past helps rationalize his behavior, but Ana's (and the reader's) internal struggle will continue. Your head will say no, but your heart will say yes!!!! If you are like me and are bothered by the sexual themes of the story, hang in there. As Christian begins to tranform, so does the "nature" of their relationship. It is worth getting through book one in order to see the changes of Christian in Fifty Shades Darker.

This book is so wrong AND so right!! I started Fifty Shades of Grey and completely read through both books without stopping. I absolutely cannot wait for the final installment. I feel like a drug addict in desperate need of a fix!

View all my reviews





Other books you may like:

Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades, #2)Beautiful DisasterThoughtless



1 comment:

  1. Excellent review. I'll link to this when I come across yet another person who tells me how dangerous this book is ;)

    ReplyDelete