Thursday, April 12, 2012

Review: Slammed by Colleen Hoover

After the unexpected death of her father forces eighteen year old Layken and her family to move across the country, away from everyone and everything she knows, her outlook on life is anything but hopeful.

Enter Will Cooper: the attractive twenty-one year old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry. After a night together that turns out to be everything but the expected, both Layken and Will are left with feelings they never knew they could have. Unfortunately in Layken's life, things are never what they seem. Just as quickly as it develops, their relationship is derailed by a shocking revelation, sparking a tumultuous battle between their hearts and their ethics.

As if the dramatic turn of events in her life isn't enough, Layken is slammed again when her mother reveals a secret of her own. A secret so intense, all of Layken's current problems pale in comparison to her seemingly insurmountable future. Unable to confront the changes that lie ahead of her, Layken ignores her conscience as she turns to Will for solace. Struggles ensue as both Layken and Will search for a balance between that which keeps them apart and the feelings that pull them together.





A follow-up novel to Slammed, by Colleen Hoover.

Hardships and heartache brought them together…now it will tear them apart.
Layken and Will have proved their love can get them through anything; until someone from Will’s past re-emerges, leaving Layken questioning the very foundation on which their relationship was built. Will is forced to face the ultimate challenge…how to prove his love
for a girl who refuses to stop ‘carving pumpkins.





So I promised myself I wouldn't use some cheesy play on the word slammed, but daaaaaamn this book not only slammed me right out of my book slump but slammed me into total Colleen Hoover submission!!


I confess I wasn't slammed right away. In fact, I was devistated. Utterly disappointed and totally convinced this was going to be another generic romance that happens way too quickly, but I was wrong! Wrong. Wrong. WRONG!!! The turning point for me was the plot shocker and what a shock it was. My mouth was slammed wide open with complete surprise. I love it when I don't see it coming. The story was transformed into a heartshattering, heartbreaking, and passionate story of love, loss, turmoil and a whole bunch of other stuff. It was an emotional rollercoaster gone wild!!!

This is usually where I talk about the characters I loved, didn't love, or loved to hate, but I can't. I loved them all. You don't just fall for Layken and Will's relationship, you fall for every single one! Her relationship with her mom, her brother. Will's relationship with his brother...Relationship-fest 2012!!!! I'm in love...with EVERYONE!!

I instantly dove right into Point of Retreat without even coming up for air. I laughed, I cried, I became totally sexually frustrated!! I never saw this series coming, but it slammed into me with such force that all that's left to say is READ THE BOOK!!



***If you are a fan of YA-mature or new adult books, this is definitely for you


Other books you may like:

That BoyThat Wedding (That Boy, #2)

8 comments:

  1. You know I love New Adult! I added this to my TBR and I can't wait to devour :D I love your GIFs I might just have to swipe Will because I was almost on the floor laughing so hard. Great review as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl!!! In the first one they're 18 and 21 and in the second they're both in college. Swipe away, I'll probably eventually have to swipe your Carlton dance GIF; loved it :-)

      Delete
  2. Okay, girl let me tell you a story about how I just started this last night and now I am completely addicted! Damn is the book insane. I'll you know when I finish ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book absolutely positively blew me away. It might be the best book I have read this year - and I have read some awesome books. I honestly knew nothing about this book when I purchased it besides the fact that it had 4.9 out of 5 stars on amazon, with quite a few reviewers - and it was an independent book, therefore it fit my budget. It was worth 5 times what I paid for it. I laughed and cried throughout the book. I loved all the characters. I really felt what they felt. I'm not a huge fan of poetry, but I LOVED the slam poetry in this book. I don't want to give anything away because I knew nothing going into this book and it was so much better that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a new follower. I loved the book.

    My blog - http://bookbloggermom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were very close to the top of my favorite readfs this summer. I will very possibly read them again soon.

    ReplyDelete