Monday, June 24, 2013

New Review: Falling Into Us (Falling #2) by Jasinda Wilder

Falling Into Us (Falling, #2)Falling Into Us by Jasinda Wilder
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Links:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Goodreads

THE STORY YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW...

When Kyle Calloway died, he took a part of Nell with him. She wasn’t the only one left to pick up the pieces, however; Kyle’s death left a gaping hole in the hearts and lives of his parents and his older brother Colton, and ultimately broke the will of the girl he loved.

THE STORY YOU NEVER IMAGINED...

Becca de Rosa is Nell’s best friend. When Kyle died, Nell was so devastated that no one could reach her, not even her best friend Becca. As she tries to help Nell through her grief, Becca’s own life is thrust into turmoil, and everything she knows is changed.

Jason Dorsey asked Nell out the week after her sixteenth birthday, but that date never happened. Instead, he ended up going out with Nell’s best friend, Becca. He had no way of knowing, then, how that one date would send him on a life-long journey with Becca. He had no way of knowing the tragedies and triumphs he would experience, or that in Becca, he might find the love of a lifetime.

THE HEARTACHE YOU’LL NEVER FORGET...

My Review

I'm going to be totally honest here; I was scared shitless to read Falling Into Us! No really, should I just go ahead and start drinking now? Maybe run a hot shower so I can sit there alone, crying, and clutching my knees?? I mean hell, the super glue hasn't even dried from piecing my heart back together from Falling Into You (A must read by the way if you haven't). How am I going to survive another one!? HOW!!?? I. Was. Scared.

Falling Into Us was a different type of emotion, a different journey. I was falling, but instead of going splat on the pavement, I was caught! I was caught by emotional healing. There was heartache, heartbreak, and loss, but I was healed. Even my wounds from Falling Into You were healed. Both journeys collided.

At first, I wasn't even sure I wanted to take a new journey. I didn't want to be pulled away from Nell, Kyle, and Colton. I was so wrapped up in hoping to catch glimpses of their story that I almost missed something right in front of me, something pretty damn amazing.

What I found so achingly good about this book was the perfection in which Jasinda Wilder writes coming of age. The teenage characters felt so real, living out actual experiences. Experiences that were so true to life that I questioned it being fiction. Everything from the dialogue to the awkward situations. I lived the "firsts" right along with them.

I loved reading the conversations between Kyle and Jason. Two teenage boys discussing relationships and cluelessly leading and learning from each other. In those moments, they were awkward. Beautifully and perfectly awkward. They were real.

The countless pages of the "winter formal truck scene"!!! OMG!! It kept going and going, and building, and...and...sweet panting teenage Jesus....it was intense!! Again, not trashy or smutty, but real, so damn real. However, not to totally contradict myself in the very next breath, but a few of the love scenes, especially towards the end, could have been edited or trimmed down. They were hot, but they stopped bringing something new. They brought an element of redundancy. Insanely HOT redundancy, but redundancy just the same.

Jasinda Wilder incredibly brought closure to not one, but two beautiful stories. Two journeys collided. Four hearts healed. Bringing back Colton and Nell wasn't just genius, it expressed one of the main things that I love about reading Jasinda Wilder. Her books give us entirety. I never feel slighted or incomplete; she gives closure in everything she writes. I accept that last page because I feel it; I feel the ending. Jasinda Wilder writes completeness. And in this moment, I am complete!

READ ON!

View all my reviews















1 comment:

  1. THANK YOU! I really want to read it, but I have been afraid to for the same reasons you mentioned above. I was a complete mess while reading Falling Into You despite knowing ahead of time that Kyle dies. I mean, it's in the synopsis! I now have a little comfort knowing that this one won't wreck me, but heal me. THANK YOU AGAIN for making me bump this closer to the top to be read and feeling cofortable about it.

    ReplyDelete