Monday, February 24, 2014

NEW REVIEW: Therapy by Kathryn Perez

Therapy by Kathryn Perez
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I’m needy.

I’m broken.

Cutting breaks through my numbness, but only opens more wounds.

Depression, self-harm, bullying....that's my reality.

Sex and guys....that's my escape.

The space between the truth and lies is blurred leaving me torn, lost and confused. And while the monsters that live in my head try to beat me-- the two men that I love try to save me.

This is my story of friendship, heartache, and the grueling journey that is mental-illness.

Sometimes you have to get lost in order to be found…


My Review
If only to be owned, disowned, and a masochist. I swear there's a bar joke in there somewhere….

I was very inconsistent with my love for this book, my mind was a little all over the place. From the very start, I was undecided. The pacing in the beginning threw me off completely. Jess and Jace. The bullying. A lot of history that just seemed to happen too fast. Certain plot points didn't sit well with me either. The explanation to why Jace was with Elizabeth despite well….everything, was extremely weak in my eyes; it bothered me. Especially after what happened to his sister? No. Really? It was a very hard explanation to swallow.

I guess you could say that me and Therapy got off on the wrong foot.

Then chapter 7 happened, the fight, and for some reason something just clicked. Okay book, now you have my attention. Then chapter 9? What the hell!! You now own my attention.

From that point on, it took me. It owned me. My heart raced for what was to come.

I was so invested in Jess and Jace's relationship. I was scared, nervous, my heart beat in funny ways, and it seemed like every muscle in my body was tense. I. Was. Owned.

Then I was disowned.

In my opinion, what captured me in Therapy was the development of Jessica and Jace. Everything I felt, was in some way tied to them. They were the source of my emotions. A source that was drained by the inclusion of Kingsley. To become such a crucial aspect of the story so late in the game, left me completely detached from his character. Where adding his POV should have helped, having to juggle his, along with two other point of views prevented me from investing too deeply into his character. However, those that seemed to have connected with Kingsley (where I didn't) became so emotionally intertwined with the story, they physically hurt. I didn't have that. I wanted that.

I actually cheered at the very same moment that so many others clothed themselves in tissues, became violent towards their kindles, and self medicated with vodka and Xanax. Not because I'm a heartless masochist, but because I was detached. My emotions were only developed towards Jess and Jace.

I also felt like there was something in the dynamic of Jess and Jace's present relationship that was very reminiscent of the Avoiding series. Once my brain made that connection, it was a distraction.

So as I said earlier, my love for this book was very inconsistent, but there was love. Love for so many aspects. It had heart, passion, and it kept me interested the entire time. I also loved the twist concerning Vivie. I completely understand why so many other readers were turned inside out by Therapy, why their emotions ended up on the outside. Depending on the amount of your investment, this book has the potential to break you. It just didn't do that for me. I wish it had. I think perhaps dividing this story into two books, allowing more time with certain characters and enhancing development would have made a colossal impact. I needed more time to care. More time to become torn. More time to let those emotions develop so I could be allowed to feel.

However, I did think it was a really good book and I will most definitely be looking forward to more Kathryn Perez in the future.

READ ON!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment