Monday, July 6, 2015

Review: Chasing River by K.A. Tucker

Chasing River (Burying Water, #3)Chasing River by K.A. Tucker
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Armed with two years' worth of savings and the need to experience life outside the bubble of her Oregon small town, twenty-five-year old Amber Welles is prepared for anything. Except dying in Dublin. Had it not been for the bravery of a stranger, she might have. But he takes off before she has the chance to offer her gratitude. 

Twenty-four-year-old River Delaney is rattled. No one was supposed to get hurt. But then that American tourist showed up. He couldn't let her die, but he also couldn't risk being identified at the scene—so, he ran. Back to his everyday life of running his family’s pub. Only, everyday life is getting more and more complicated, thanks to his brother, Aengus, and his criminal associations. When the American girl tracks River down, he quickly realizes how much he likes her, how wrong she is for him. And how dangerous it is to have her around. Chasing her off would be the smart move. 

Maybe it's because he saved her life, or maybe it's because he's completely different from everything she's left behind, but Amber finds herself chasing after River Delaney. Amber isn’t the kind of girl to chase after anyone. 

And River isn't the kind of guy she'd want to catch.


My Review
Chasing River is my very first novel in the Burying Water series. It’s my first K.A. Tucker novel since Ten Tiny Breathes, which I absolutely LOVED by the way!! I mean truly. If you haven’t read Ten Tiny Breathes. Buy. Click. Now.

Okay. Back to Chasing River.

Let me start off by saying that I have personally traveled to Dublin (and other parts of Ireland), and K.A. Tucker did an amazing job transporting me right back there. She also enlightened me on some aspects of history that I never really knew about. She did this in a way that was not too over-descriptive or wordy. She effortlessly weaved it into the story, while still keeping the pace.

Amber and River’s story starts off with a bang, literally. Their intense meeting is what grabbed me from the very beginning. River is a complete stranger who saves Amber’s life after she unfortunately finds herself in the wrong place at the wrong time. Due to the extreme circumstances, they form an instant connection. On the surface, one may call their relationship insta love, but K.A. Tucker beautifully develops the romance progressively, causing the relationship to reach its crescendo at a perfect pace. I am not one to like insta-anything, but the author some how found a way to slowly build the romance at a quickened pace. The perfect conundrum.

Though the relationship was perfectly paced, I did find the overall plot to stall a bit at times. I kept expecting Jimmy to set his sights on Amber while adding to the intensity and angst leading up to the climax. The climax. It was intense and strong, but saturated with a lot of things happening extremely quickly. I feel like a lot of that suspense and excitement could have been shared throughout the book instead of all at once towards the end. Though I did love the ending.

I haven’t mentioned much of the secondary characters, but I have to say that they were truly a refreshing compliment to Chasing River. I can’t wait to read more about Rowan Delaney. There is undoubtedly a story there to be told, and I can’t think of a better person to tell it than K.A. Tucker.

This book can definitely be read as a standalone, but I guarantee that I will be going back and reading the rest of the Burying Water series. It’s a great summer read because it’s a romance without painful angst and unnecessary drama. It won’t leave you with a painful book hangover, but will entertain you with its unique plot filled with action, romance and a little bit of everything in between. Definitely a quick read.

READ ON!


B&N | BAM | Kobo | Indigo |  Google Play | Blio | Other



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment